SEDEX/SMETA (Sedex Members Ethical Trade Audit)
SEDEX (Supplier Ethical Data Exchange) Advance is one of largest collaborative platforms worldwide that allows all member companies to disclose, in a controlled and selective manner, social responsibility data related to them, to the product and services supply chain they collaborate or wish to collaborate with.
SMETA (SEDEX Members Ethical Trade Audit) is SEDEX’s auditing methodology for assessing its member companies in terms of the ethical behaviour and social responsibility they demonstrate toward their employees and partners throughout the product and services supply chain they operate in.
As a body accredited by SEDEX (SEDEX Affiliate Audit Company) for SMETA audits, TÜV AUSTRIA provides value added auditing services to companies wishing to join SEDEX’s international platform.
SMETA is not a certification standard and does not set social responsibility requirements. Instead, it provides a mechanism for assessing, recording and promoting all practices applied by a company which have been proven to support its social responsibility and ethical behaviour within the supply chain.
More specifically, the companies’ evaluation is based on the basic principles regarding labour rights, as laid down by the International Labour Organization (ILO) conventions.
In particular, the SMETA audit service allows the evaluation of a company based on two pillar options, as follows:
- “2 Pillars SMETA”, which includes requirements on issues related to:
- Labour issues
- Health & Safety issues
- Basic Environmental Compliance Principles
- “4 Pillars SMETA”, which apart from the requirements of the “2 Pillar SMETA” option also includes requirements on issues related to:
- Environmental Management Principles, and
- Business Ethics issues.
The audit pillars are selected by the company according to the requirements stated by its customers.
Completion of the SMETA service does not result in the issuance of a Certificate of Conformity, while its frequency depends entirely on the policy of each company, as well as its customers’ requirements.
What Is the Process for Completion of the Service?
- For the company to register as a SEDEX member on the relevant SEDEX Advance platform;
- Submission of the SEDEX/SMETA Audit Application Form to TÜV AUSTRIA HELLAS in order to receive the Organisation’s financial offer;
- For the company to authorise TÜV AUSTRIA to conduct a SMETA audit, through the company’s profile that is created when registered with SEDEX;
- The audit is conducted by TÜV AUSTRIA HELLAS;
- TÜV AUSTRIA uploads the audit report on the company’s profile on SEDEX Advance.
Who Is it Addressed To?
SEDEX/SMETA is designed for companies active in various fields, such as production of food and agriculture, the textile industry, production of packaging, production and trade of plastic and chemical products, manufacturing, etc.
Companies that Have Chosen this Certification
SEDEX/SMETA has been selected by more than 50,000 companies operating in 35 different sectors in more than 155 countries. TÜV AUSTRIA HELLAS provides this certification through the TÜV AUSTRIA Group as a SEDEX (Supplier Ethical Data Exchange) recognised body.
What Are the Certification Benefits?
Indicatively, some of the major benefits of businesses from the SEDEX/SMETA service are the following:
- Addressing ethical trading which is one of the greatest challenges of modern supply chains, and which can assist in improving the outreach of their products;
- Acquiring a comparative advantage by promoting their documented ability to manage risks related to sustainable viability and ethics, which are affected by the multi-layered complexity of modern supply chains;
- Informing their suppliers immediately and objectively of their level of conformity with SMETA principles, through the SEDEX Advance platform;
- Continuous improvement of their performance at a financial, social and environmental level.
Who Do I Contact for the Certification?
Customer Service Department Contact Person: Ms. Anna Topaltziki, tel. no.: +30 210 5220920, ext: 187