FSSC 22000 – Food Safety Management Systems
The Foundation Food Safety System Certification 22000 (FSSC 22000) offers a complete certification scheme for Food Safety Management Systems (FSMS) and is managed by the non-profit, Netherlands-based Foundation for Food Safety Certification.
The scheme is based on the ISO 22000 standard for “Food safety management systems – Requirements for any organization in the food chain,” the technical specifications for sector-specific Pre-Requisite Programs (PRPs) and the additional requirements of the Scheme.
FSSC 22000 is recognized by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI).
FSSC 22000 provides a complete certification model that can be applied throughout the food supply chain, in sectors where there are technical specifications for the prerequisites, e.g. In production, processing and manufacture of foods and ingredients, in food packaging materials, catering, transport, storage, etc.
The FSSC 22000 scheme consists of:
- ISO 22000
- The Technical Specifications for the Pre-Requisite Programs (PRPs) (ISO/TS 22002 series) in each sector of the food supply chain, e.g. ISO TS 22002-1: 2009, Prerequisite programmes on food safety Part 1: food manufacturing, ISO/TS 22002-4:2013, Prerequisite programmes for food safety – Part 4: Food packaging manufacturing, ISO/TS 22002-2:2013, Prerequisite programmes for food safety – Part 2: Catering, etc.
- The additional requirements of the FSSC 22000 Scheme
What is the certification procedure?
Management Systems and Products Certification Division
Management systems application form
To achieve certification under the FSSC 22000 scheme, a business must satisfy the requirements of ISO 22000, the technical specifications for the prerequisite programs (Good Manufacturing Practices and Good Hygiene Practices) as well as the additional requirements of the FSSC 22000 scheme (food defence, food fraud, management of allergens, etc.)
Food processing and manufacture businesses already certified to ISO 22000 need only revise the system to include the technical specifications and additional requirements needed to meet the requirements of the FSSC 22000 Scheme.
What is the application field of the standard?
This certification is for all businesses that produce or process food, additives and ingredients or food packaging materials, or are involved in catering, regardless of their size or complexity.
What are the benefits of certification?
Certification under the FSSC 22000 Scheme lends added value to an organization, as it:
- It is a guarantee for clients, consumers and other interested parties of the Organization’s ability to consistently provide safe food.
- It is a guarantee for the client that the product provided satisfies the mutually agreed requirements as well as the applicable legal and regulatory provisions on food safety.
- It applies measures for ongoing improvement, with the aim of continually improving the business’s operations.
- It provides international recognition, creates a competitive advantage and attracts new customers and investors in international markets, as it shows compliance with the requirements of a scheme accepted by the top food businesses in the world.
Who do I contact for certification?
Customer Service Department Contact Person: Ms. Anna Topaltziki, Tel: 210 5220920, Ext: 187